Home | About UB | Calgary Alberta | Programs | Admissions | Corporate Services

Media Gallery


Apply Online
Study Permit
Working in Canada
Homestay Service
Tuition Fees
Refund Policy

International Students - Renewing your Study Permit

All international students attending UBridge College must have a valid Study Permit attached to their passport. Attending classes without this permit is a violation of immigration regulations.

Do not confuse your Study Permit with your Temporary Resident Visa.

A Study Permit is a document that allows you to study in Canada . It is stapled to your passport when you arrived in Canada . Study Permits are issued for a specific period of time, normally for the length of time necessary to complete your education. You should send your application to renew your Study Permit 3 months before the expiration date.

A Temporary Resident Visa (previously known as a Visa) is a document that allows you to enter Canada . It is the shiny foil sticker in your passport and is either a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. The expiry date on the Temporary Resident Visa indicates the deadline date that the student has to enter Canada . The Temporary Resident Visa does not need to be renewed when it expires unless you are planning to leave and then re-enter Canada . NOTE: Applications for Temporary Resident Visas are only processed at Canadian immigration offices outside of Canada . You can download information and application kits for a Temporary Resident Visa from the following web site: www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visa.html

How do I Get Information and Application Kit to Renew My Study Permit?

There are several ways to get this information:

  1. Telephone the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 (toll free, 24 hours a day) You can order applications kits and receive general information about any Citizen and Immigration concern
  2. Download the application kit from: www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/extend-student.html. Be sure to download the application ‘Change My Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada ’ AND the ‘Document Checklist’, for instructions about what your need to include with your application.
  3. Visit the Calgary Immigration Office in the Harry Hayes Building , Room 170m, 220 -4th Avenue SE. (Monday- Friday)

How Do I pay for my Study Permit?

Renewing your Study Permit will cost you $125. There are two ways to pay for your Study Permit. (YOU CANNOT SEND YOUR FEE WITH YOUR APPLICATION!)

  1. If you have a credit card you can pay online at: www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/index.html
  2. If you do not have a credit card you can get a ‘pink Fee Receipt’ from a local bank or the UBridge College staff. When you pay the fee at the bank they will stamp it, and keep one copy. You will keep one copy for your records and one will be sent with your application. Make sure that you fill in all the information on both sides of the receipt.

Where do I send my Study Permit?

Citizenship & Immigration

Study Permit, Case Processing Centre- Unit 101

Vegreville, Alberta , T9C 1X5

When You change Institutions

A new immigration policy that came into effect January 31, 2005 means there is no need to request a new Study Permit if the reason is solely because the student wishes to attend another post secondary (private or public) educational institution. If you have further questions regarding this new policy, please attend one of our immigration information sessions.

In some cases it may be necessary to have a new Study Permit issued. For example, if you have been attending a high school, you will need to change your Study Permit to indicate you now have permission to attend a college - UBridge College.

If You Did Not Apply for a Study Permit Before Coming to Canada

Canada immigration expects students to apply for a Study Permit before coming to Canada to study. If you are presently in Canada and you wish to apply for a Study Permit you must submit your application to a Canadian immigration office outside of Canada . There are some exceptions to this regulation. For example, the spouses and the children of students with a valid Study Permit can apply for a Study Permit in Canada .

Further information and application kits are available from the following web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/student.html.

DO NOT FORGET TO DOWNLOAD THE “DOCUMENT CHECKLIST” that lists all information required to apply for your Study Permit. Be sure to send the appropriate form of payment (usually a Money Order, Bank Draft or Cashiers Cheque. Check the website of the embassy where you will be mailing your application to find out whom to make it payable to. DO NOT use the pink fee receipt used to “renew” a Study Permit. The pink fee receipt can only be used in Canada .

If you have further questions about your Study Permit contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.

This is not a legal document. Information may have changed since this handout was created. Please go to the websites listed above and read the Guide and all directions for processing your application. For legal information, please refer to the Immigration Act and Regulations.

UBridge College

# 230, 900 6 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2P 3K2, Canada

Tel: (403) 230-3011  Fax: (403) 265-8047